If you are a high school or college student, you will probably receive an essay like this as homework or class assignment. A great number people, at first sight, might find this type of paper a bit hard, but the truth is that essay is not only easy to write, but also a great way to improve your analytical and . Dive into this article to find out more about that type of essay and how to create the best one about any topic. Our writing experts have prepared this great article for you to improve your skills and find out everything you want to know.
Starting Your Essay
The main goal of a classification essay is to sort and classify a group of things into categories that have common characteristics or features. For example, you can divide food into such groups as fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy, oils, and protein. There are many other examples, and if you need more, just look for some online.
In the first paragraph you need to present the main object or idea and include its definition. Narrow down your subject and categorize it. If you are not sure about how to do classification, dig down and find a few example articles to see how other writers managed their task. Make certain that you are clear from the beginning and use classification properly, because if the thoughts you offer are messy, most readers will lose their interest very quickly.
It would also be useful to add an explanation why your essay and ideas in it are important. Your main idea might be obvious to you, but it's not like that for readers.
There is also one thing that you should never forget about when writing a classification essay - thesis statement. The purpose of your thesis is to explain the criteria and classification you've used for the main topic into classes, types, or categories.
Writing the Main Part of the Classification Paper
In this part of classification essays, the author needs to start getting the content gathered in the groups with the help of classification. The main focus of the body paragraph should be on arranging the familiar objects into the classes by their characteristics. To start, organize them by finding the similarities.
Usually, the order does not matter. Check that all of the topics you talk about are relevant. To make the life easier try to find a lot of various objects and look for the differences. If you are out of ideas, try to find some good topics online. If, in general, the objects are different it is the best to keep them for until you find them a better fit. Remember that the most often mistake students to make is picking the wrong subject for their essay.
Give every subject a number of tags. That will not just let you understand how everything is working, but will also let you find the better fits for some of the objects. However, the sense of how it all works helps you later on in the writing process.
After you are done with picking groups and classification for them, you have to decide what to do next. The best option for a student is to describe the objects they have picked. That will make the text nicer to read and will give the school teachers an opinion that you know what you are writing about. Make sure to fully describe every single object in the text. After you are ready, make sure to go over every part of the main body and check whether the objects for the groups. Often you would get a task to find and group some topics on a test. That takes a lot of time, so make sure that you know how to deal with it.
The Conclusion of the Classification Essay
In these paragraphs, you will have to summarize everything that you have done in the assignment and every classification you have written about. Make sure to read over it again to what might have been the wrong choice and what is sitting in the right place. It is important to analyze every aspect of the previous work. That gives you the knowledge of what you have to say in the last part of your essay. This process takes time, so patiently go over it. That always grants you a good impression from those who are checking the task.
Make sure that in the last part of the text you do not give the reader any new information or don’t add a new classification. That is a mistake that people always forget to keep in mind. Try to tell the reader why you have picked the specific objects and why they have reserved a place in a specific group. In the beginning, you might be shocked by how hard that is, but in the end, you will see that it is not that difficult if you do it consistently.
- Identify the categories: The main thing to start with is to identify all the proper categories of you need to mention in your essay. Try to make everything complete and focused. Do not use too much general words. Your creativity is not about the wordiness but about your ideas. You need to talk about every aspect of a certain problem. If you are talking about one point do not forget to describe the other one to make the picture complete. Ignoring facts is not a good habit in classification essays.
- Choose one principle to classify: After creating your main categories you need to set them for various principles. It means you need to sort all the groups you have. Try to label one groupe with just one single and clear principle. It is one of the most important points if you want to learn how to write a classification essay.
- Use examples: Do not forget to use examples for each of your categories. The best case is when you have an equal number of examples for each category. Be objective and try to use the same template in all cases. But usually the most important category is left for the last part.
Classification Essay Topics
Sometimes you need to write a paper like this for school or college, but you have no idea what to talk about. Don't spend all the time searching for a subject - here is a list of great topics for a classification essay to choose from.
- Art movements and styles
- Music genres
- Historical periods
- Types of human relationships
- Dancing styles
- TV series
- Various political systems
- Alternative sources of energy
- Vacation destinations
- School systems
- High school and college students
- Common phobias
- Psychological disorders
- Weight loss diets
- Educational mobile apps
- Smart devices
- Road trips
- Video games
- Books or Book Report
- Men's and women's rights
Some Tips on Writing Classification Essay
- Do as much research as possible. When you are done with sorting your topic into categories, take some time and look for enough information about them. You need to provide readers with truthful facts from reliable resources.
- Support each classification with enough evidence and examples. The most important category should have the most strong evidence among other and it should be saved for the last point of the body paragraph.
- Plan your time. This is a crucial step toward a successful essay that gets ignored a lot. Don't leave everything for the last moment, but use your time in an effective way. Writing texts on time is one of the characteristics of a successful writer.
- Proofread your essay text a few times. Make sure that you don't make grammatical mistakes and all the sentences sound well when you read them out loud.
- . It may not be very pleasantly to hear somebody say that your classification paper is not that good as you thought, but you are not perfect and that's okay to make mistakes.
Remember — everything is possible if you believe in yourself. Try to make yourself better every day, and you will achieve the best results. And if something doesn’t work in the way you expected it to work, don’t worry — there is always a way to make things better, especially with academic writing services.